Meanwhile, the first Russian soldier to face trial for killing a civilian has asked the man’s widow for “forgiveness.” Ukrainian President Zelenskyy has warned of a long war. Follow DW for the latest.
- US and Russian chiefs of staff speak for first time since Ukraine war began
- Zelenskyy warns of a long war
- Chancellor Olaf Scholz says Putin will only talk when it’s clear Russia cannot break Ukraine’s defenses
- Ukraine says Russian attacks stay focused on Donbas
- G7 finance ministers look to solve Kyiv’s budget troubles
This article was last updated at 16:35 UTC/GMT
US Senate backs $40 billion Ukraine aid package
The US Senate has overwhelmingly backed nearly $40 billion in aid for Ukraine.
The 86-11 vote gave final congressional approval to the package, three weeks after President Joe Biden requested a smaller $33 billion version and after a lone Republican opponent delayed Senate passage for a week.
Every Democrat and all but 11 Republicans backed the measure…